Tuesday, July 12, 2011

8mm footage from 1940

Filming has been a family tradition. And this film shot (mostly) by my grandfather in 1940 testifies to that. Actually, this was one of the few times he was filmed himself because he rarely let others touch the camera. Below you see him sitting with his baby daughter on his lap and his son -my father- behind him.
My grandfather was know to carry his camera on every vacation and daytrip. I'm sure he drove his wife crazy, always pointing camera's at them and fiddling with equipment and gadgets. I follow in that tradition...
My grandfather died in 2001 at the age of 97. My father, who is now 76, is the little boy in the film trying to get his father's attention away from his baby sister.
The camera that shot this film is now in my possession. There is more footage that may have some historical value: my grandfather's sister died in a concentration camp and . I have been trying to get developed. But the only company that still does this -a small US shop- doesn't answer my emails. I'll bring the reel to the US this summer and see if I can get it developed there.

8mm footage from 1940 from Filmersblog on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment